top of page
Tax slip filling.png

Tax slip filling - T4, T5, T50018


Corporate Taxes & Accounting Services

Tax slip filling - T4, T5, T50018

A T4 Statement of Income is a tax document that indicates how much money an employee made or whether it was withheld and paid to the government. It's also the form that your employees are using to file their annual income taxes. T4s are given to employees and the CRA.

T4 slips are necessary for both of the following situations every year:

  • Employees that have been received compensation with a total of more than $500.

  • Any deductions from an employee's salary for contributions to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP/QPP), Employment Insurance (EI) premiums, Provincial Parental Insurance Plan (PPIP) premiums, or income tax.

  • Every employee, whether active, inactive or dismissed, must submit a T4 form.

  • Employees and the CRA must submit T4 slips for the previous calendar year by the final working day of February following the calendar year.

    The T4 form includes the majority of taxable income, allowances, perks, deductions, and pension plan contributions made by the employer and filed by the end of February. This is very important and should be filed on time since employers can be fined a maximum penalty of $7,500 in accordance with the Canada Revenue Agency.


What is a T5 tax slip?

T5 slips must be submitted by the end of February in the year following the taxation year to which the T5 pertains. The CRA will penalize you if you fail to include T5 slips in your income for the second time in four years. This consists of the interest on the outstanding balance. The CRA encourages taxpayers who receive late or modified T5 slips to file a T1-ADJ (adjustment request) to disclose their income difference as soon as possible. To avoid fines, you should file your T5 slip with all essential information by the dates specified.

If you earned more than $50 in investment income throughout the year, you would receive a T5 statement of investment income; however, if your earnings are less than $50 in interest, you will not receive a T5 slip, but you must declare it on your tax return. The actual amount and the taxable amount should both be mentioned. This information will be used to figure out how much tax is owing or due. This form should also include the payee's and payer's details for identification reasons.

A T5 contains the following section:

  • Recipient information

  • Payer information

  • Income information

  • Currency and identification codes

You may submit your tax return online, which is the easiest way to do so, and this can be time-consuming for you and costly if you don't get it right!


What is the T5008?


Your broker will provide you with a T5008 slip, similar to a T4 slip but solely shows your income and losses from securities trades. You'll need this slip to complete your taxes, so contact your broker if you haven't received one by the final day of February following the applicable tax year.

Whether you purchased, sold, or cashed securities, the slip should describe all of your transactions. For this slip, security is defined as follows

  • Shares, including those that are publicly traded.

  • Debt obligations, mutual fund units, options, and contracts are all examples of debt obligations.

  • When disposed of at maturity, small company organization shares, whether deferred or qualifying T-bills

  • Promissory notes, debentures, bonds, and other similar financial instruments

It's possible that the amount listed on your T5008 slip isn't simply income. Even if the value was not in cash, it would be included in your slip if you cancel, trade, or convert your shares into a property. Include any consideration that has been paid or is due to you.


Is it necessary for me to report T5008?

Information from the T5008 must be reported on a taxpayer's tax return. The requested information should be included in your Income Tax and Benefit Return. You must, however, ensure that you have not already reported this income in other sections of your T1 return. Otherwise, you may be taxed twice. If your T5008 slip is for business income, for example, you should report it in the T1's Business Income section rather than Capital Gains and Losses. If you're using information from your T5008 in your tax return, keep in mind that the amount must be in the Canadian dollar. If you later discover an error on your T5008 slips, you can get them modified and corrected through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

bottom of page